Saturday, July 4, 2009

I'm still alive...

I've been gone awhile, though my lovely hubby has been blogging in my place (thank goodness, or else we'd be one of those woefully neglected blogs--ahem, Maren!). Anyway, I've been rather busy of late. For those of you that don't know (which I think is most of you) I have a job. Woo! Or something. I--like John--work for the city of Denton. Unlike John, however, I don't work in the cool HR department ;). I work in the aquatics department, as "lead cashier", meaning I'm in charge of all the cashiers within the aquatics department (in other words, about 20 people, though that number has been decreasing lately...that's a whole other story though). In December I went in and interviewed for a cashier position, thinking it would be nice to work once or twice a week. But at the end of the interview I was offered the lead cashier position, and I accepted it. It's a very interesting job, and I've certainly learned a lot. During the off season I work just a few hours a week, but during the summer it's a 40 hour a week job. And it's exhausting. So my blogging has suffered. And when I actually answer my phone, my family makes comments like "Oh, it's a miracle! You answered your phone!" or "So you're not ignoring my calls anymore." Very funny. I'm appreciative of this experience, but I'm definitely looking forward to summer being over.

In more exciting recent news, I've now made two cakes that people have paid me for. It's so fun! And it's made me realize that I very much need a bigger kitchen. I could also spend a great deal of money on kitchen/baking supplies. When I made one of the cakes the other day, I went to get out my whisk attachment for my KitchenAid and I couldn't find it. Anywhere. I got very upset and searched the apartment, but was never able to find it. I was kind of frightened by how emotional I got about a KitchenAid attachment. But I LOVE my KitchenAid and use it frequently! I had to use a hand mixer to make my cake! Not cool. And it will cost me $20 to replace it. But I did discover that I can buy more bowls, so that's pretty exciting. Anyway...I know some of you out there understand the KitchenAid obsession.

So here are the cakes I did. The first one was for John's coworker's son's 1st birthday. The bottom layer was cookies and cream with vanilla buttercream, and the top layer (for the birthday boy to destroy) was white cake with vanilla buttercream. The second cake (for John's coworker) was chocolate fudge cake with chocolate fudge buttercream. My kind of cake.


Clearly photography is not my forte. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to work on that...


Speaking of things that are not my forte...frosting and piping with buttercream. I really need to work on that, but I've been having too much fun with fondant.

6 comments:

RM said...

Kara, the cakes are FAB! good for you for "getting paid" you should start your business ASAP! I've fallen off the BLOG world, with no excuses really...so at least you have a few. I've quite enjoyed John's posts though!

Lindsey said...

You are seriously so good at making cakes! Eric and I decided we know who we are calling to make Blake's 1st birthday cake.

Nicole said...

The Monkey cake is SOOO cute!! :-D

McEuens said...

I know. I'm a bad, bad blogger. But at least I do answer my phone most of the time and return calls when I don't! ;)

Liz said...

I'm so sorry about your whisk attachment. I too, would be devastated to lose mine. I just hope my Kitchenaid returns to me shortly. We're still waiting for all our household goods to arrive and I miss my kitchen things. :-(

I love your cakes. The first cake is absolutely adorable...I have no idea how you can do stuff like that. I really want to take a cake decorating class because I'm never good at teaching myself how to do crafty things like that. And best of luck with your job!

J and M said...

Let us discuss your talents!!!!!!!!!!!!