I cannot believe that another week has come and gone...time is just going by so fast! On one hand, that's a good thing because I can't wait to meet our new baby boy. On the other hand, I still have so much to do before he gets here!
Speaking of the darling baby boy, I had to do a second glucose tolerance test because I failed my first one. Yikes! The thought of gestational diabetes scares me, Andrew was a big enough baby without me having GD. I suppose I should cut back on the Crunch Eggs...darn Easter time. Anyway, I had my test on Thursday, and it wasn't the best 3 hours of my life. They had me start fasting at midnight (though with my heartburn being as bad as it is now, I usually cut off food around 9pm) and I went in at 8:15am to do the little test. First, they took my blood, then I drank the nasty glucose drink (which, I have to say, on an empty stomach at 8:30am was not too pleasant) and then they took my blood every hour for 3 hours. Fun! Fortunately, the person who scheduled my appointment recommended bringing a portable DVD player, so I brought ours and got to watch Vanity Fair (while John got to spend the morning with Drewbie!). I was doing fine hunger-wise until about 11am, and then I started to feel really sick. Around 11:30 (just a few minutes before they had to draw my blood for the last time) I started to really think I was going to throw up all over the waiting room and/or pass out in the middle of the waiting room. And then, just as I thought I was going to die, they called me back for the last of the blood work. I stumbled back there and managed to not give away the fact that I was feeling so faint, because I was afraid they'd make me stay longer until I felt better. After they took the last of the blood, I pretty much inhaled a granola bar, which I think is what saved me. Pregnancy + fasting + having your blood drawn 4 times in 3 hours = not fun! Here's hoping the results come back ok, because the diet changes I would have to make would stink (increase protein, limit carbs? Sad!).
So anyway, after sitting in the doctor's office for over 3 hours, I went outside and discovered that we were in the middle of a snow storm. What the heck?!?! I was not happy. We ended up getting about 5 inches that day, which is a TON for this area (apparently there hasn't been that much since the 1920s). We got to take Andrew out in the snow after his nap, which was pretty fun. He thought it was hilarious when we threw snowballs at each other and was as happy as a clam until he fell into a big slush puddle, and then he was done. He's been talking about snow a lot since then though, and is sad that it's all gone now (of course it's gone now, the weather here is crazy!).
My favorite thing about Texas snow is how Texans handle it. It's hilarious! No one can drive in it, people seriously drive 5-10 miles an hour. Now, in the middle of blizzard that would be understandable, but this was not a blizzard! This was perhaps an average Utah snow storm. And when I went to Target to get some milk around 8pm, everything (with the exception of Target, Wal-Mart, Kroger, and good old Whataburger) was closed. It was a ghost town! I think I was one of three non-employees in Target, and this was a couple of hours after it had stopped snowing. All of the schools closed (which was nice, since John was supposed to have class that night) and the place where John was supposed to have a job interview called to reschedule because they didn't want him to have to drive down to Dallas in the snow. Hehe. The only funnier scenario I could imagine would be southern California in a snowstorm like that. That would be hilarious!
Ok, I think those are the highlights of the week...I could go on and on complaining about my exhaustion, physical pains, heartburn, and moodiness, but I'll spare you all.
3 comments:
Wow... 5 inches of snow?! How crazy! I'm glad you survived and made the best of it by playing. :)
Personally, I would be sort of entertained to hear about the moodiness. It would make me feel better about myself, I imagine. But you have the excuse of being pregnant. Darn.
HAHH! People in Kansas act like that too when it snows, but the difference is that is snows ALL THE TIME here. I don't get it.
Bryce was cracking up pretty good about Texans in snow storms as well! I guess one girl in his class started crying she was so scared to drive in it! Don't you just love that the world here shut down. I couldn't get over that one!
Anyway...thanks for a great dinner! We owe you now...though it may not be for a little while...I'd say we're looking at contractions every 10-15 minutes right now...I'm getting nervous!
Post a Comment