I guess I got a little carried away...it's a monstrously large cake and there are 13 people in John's office. Heh. I had SO much making it though. It's my first tiered cake (and only my second attempt at fondant) so all things considered, I'm relatively happy with how it turned out. I could have easily spent another hour working on it, but John had to have it to work by 1:30, so unfortunately, some of the other decorations I wanted to do (such as a few bead necklaces made of fondant and some additional purple stars) didn't happen. I also seriously rushed through the top layer, which you can definitely tell. The cake itself was having issues, so the frosting and the fondant didn't adhere as well. So yeah, don't look too closely...there are some serious issues. The bottom layer (two 10" cakes) is a homemade funfetti cake (using my new favorite yellow cake recipe) and the top layer is a divine chocolate fudge cake. Yum yum yum. I'm happy to say that I've finally found a decent vanilla buttercream recipe, one that uses just butter (no icky shortening) and still manages to have the right consistency for layer cakes. And the fondant is a marshmallow fondant, so the taste is actually decent. I mean, fondant is still fondant, but it's the best I've tasted. John--who hates frosting--actually likes the fondant.
As I mentioned, I recently made my first fondant cake. I made a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for my boys, and I was rather happy with how my first attempt turned out.
It's obviously very amateur, but I'm working on it.And since I was sorting through my Food folder, here are some more semi-recent pictures:
11 comments:
John, how do I become a part of your office so that I can have some of the yummy treats that Kara makes?? Need any social workers?
Good grief you're talented! Beautiful and yummy looking!
Kara, those look amazing!! You're nuts if you think they don't look professional or whatever slightly disparaging thing you said about it all. I'm intrigued by this buttercream recipe and also the marshmallow fondant. Someday when I bake--which I basically never do, sadly--I'll have to get the info from you.
Oh Kara...I'm so sad you didn't bring this cake to ME!! J/K AWESOME...your fondant looks great, I would guess you were a regular fondant-woman!! Lucky co-workers John has...do they even realize? Oh those orange cranberry cookies...yum yum yum...you are wonderful!
Yes Kara, your cake looks just awful. Really, I can't believe you let John take that to work. Really....I'm seriously impressed by your baking skills. I'm getting much better at baking, but I have yet to find a finesse to making my baked goods look as delicious as they taste. I love the pink fondant cake. I've never tried working with fondant but it looks like so much fun. You must share recipes and tips!
Wow I am so so impressed! Too bad Texas is so far away those desserts looks so delicious!
This is completely amazing. I'm serious. You should delete the part about the valentine's day cake being amateur.....I need your consulting skills on fondant. We'll chat.
Oh wow Kara!! You are seriously an amazing baker and cake decorator! I remember in high school when we either made our birthday cakes (from box mix) and added frosting into the cake batter! (Or did we add frosting to chocolate chip cookie batter?) Either way, you've come a long way, and I am super impressed! :-)
hey! I had no clue about my friends in D4 who had a blog!!! how are you?!!! How are your boys?!!
Mmmmm...I'm waaaayyyy behind on blogging, but I just had to say MMMMM! My mouth is watering. And I'm still SOOOO bumbed that we missed out on your Christmas cookies this year....next year we'll make our travel plans around your cookie making schedule!!
Post a Comment