Saturday, September 18, 2010

Andrew's Big Week

Andrew has had a busy week last week: he started both preschool and t-ball.  On Monday, Grant and I took him to his preschool class (a kindergarten prep class offered by the city).  At first Andrew was really excited, but then as we were about to leave the house he told me that he didn't want to leave me. 
Andrew's best cheesy smile

That all changed once we got there and he saw all the toys. His teacher is really nice, and he has 8 other boys and 1 girl in his class.  

You're still here? 

Grant was really upset to leave Andrew (plus I think he wanted to stay and play with the toys) and when we got in the car he pouted the entire way home.  He also kept saying "Kiss A-ew" (A-ew is how he says Andrew, and apparently he was sad that he didn't get to give Andrew a goodbye kiss, even though he gave him a hug).  Once we got home though, Grant was happy and it was fun for me to see him as his own little person, without the Andrew influence.  Not that it's not great when they're together (though really, sometimes it's not ;) but it's just fun to see him on his own, and he hasn't experienced too much of that.  Grant was SO happy to see Andrew when we picked him up.  Andrew informed me that he missed me, but he still had fun.  He got to do crafts and worksheets, and (most importantly, in his eyes) play games in the gym.  He loved "hoolee hoop" even though he said he wasn't very good at it.  So cute.  Yesterday we went and got him a backpack, because he really wanted one to put his school stuff in.  When he put it on and walked into class, I couldn't believe how fast time has gone, and how big he is now.  It's just crazy!  And this is just preschool, I'm sure I'll be freaking out when he starts kindergarten next year.

Tuesday was Andrew's first blastball (pre t-ball) practice.  He is on the Rockies, and he did great at his first practice (though John has been practicing with him for awhile, of course :). He had some great hits and throws, and he really seemed to have a good time.  
 Fine Tuning his Fielding Techniques

His practices are at the fields at the rec center that I work at, so I was able to sneak out and watch him for a few minutes.  He had a great hit while I was there, and I was this ridiculously proud, dorky mama, so excited by how well he was doing.  A bunch of the other moms were commenting on how good he is, and I wanted to say "That's my boy!"  Haha.  And I know he's big for his age, but WOW he was bigger than those other kids.  I think in the spring we'll sign him up for real t-ball. 

He has been living in his Rockies shirt since he got it.  When he woke me up Wednesday morning, he was wearing it.  He changed back into it after preschool.  He's been wearing it all day today.  He just LOVES it and wants to wear his hat everywhere too (including to bed).  I'm so glad he's excited.  And I'm so proud of him! 
Rocky Man

Anyway, he had a good time and his first game was today. It was hot and chaotic, but he did such a good job and had a lot of fun.

Suddenly the Rockies realized playing in the dirt was much more interesting than the Marlins trying to hit the ball

Now for the highlight reel:

"Knock the cover off the ball!"

"He's a natural....a natural"

"Now batting....number 11...Andrew Nelsen"

5 comments:

McEuens said...

Awww! How cute! It really is amazing how big he and Evan are. And I have no doubt he will be awesome at t-ball. Yay, Andrew! (BTW, we have that same green and white striped shirt....)

Michelle said...

Cutest. Thing. Ever. !

I wish I could see him play! Thanks for posting this. It makes me feel a little more connected. :)

Grandma Chris said...

I love the internet. This is the next best thing to being there. Go Drewbie!

Grandpa Jeff said...

Seriously, this is the cutest thing I have ever seen!! Thanks for letting us be there via the internet!!

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Awwwww...isn't it crazy how quickly they grow up?! Remember when they were just crawling around chewing on toy trains and stuff...now they're going to school...and getting ready to drive cars and go on dates!!! Ok, getting a little ahead of myself there, but really. In 10 years you're gonna do another post and I'm gonna comment and say how quickly they grow up and before we know it they'll be going to college and having kids of their own!!
Anyway, we should get our boys together to play soon...before they're asking for the car keys.