Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Andrew's First Day of Kindergarten

Somehow Andrew is old enough for school...how did that happen so quickly??  Yesterday he started kindergarten at L.A. Nelson Elementary, and his teacher's name is Ms. Wilson.  We've spent the pat few weeks talking about school, trying to remind Andrew how to act and how to meet people and make friends (I don't think he understood why we were making such a big deal about school...he was probably thinking "It's just school!" sine he's done preschool before).  I let Andrew help with his school supply shopping, and about 80% of his supplies are Star Wars themed, and he picked out a nice button down shirt for his first day...what a cutie!


Being the easy crier that I am (in addition to being a hormonal pregnant whacko) I was very worried that I would bawl when I dropped him off.  John warned me that I needed to be strong for Grant though, so I managed to drop him off without losing it.  Grant, however, started to cry a little and get upset when we dropped Andrew off.  He spent the rest of the day saying "Let's go A-ew's school!" or "Let's go get A-ew!"  Then this morning, day #2, Grant cried and cried when Andrew said he was leaving Grant to go to school.  Poor little guy. 


So handsome!


I can't believe how old he looks!


Awww, brothers!  So cute.
Anyway, by the time school got out yesterday I was SO ready to see my Drewbie.  We talked about his first day...he made some "kind of" friends but he can't remember their names (except for Jesse, who he sits next to).  He had fun on the playground but got a wood chip stuck in his sandal and had to have the adults help him get it out because it hurt.  He ate all of his lunch (love how he made sure to tell me this) and tried to give his teacher an apple (which, might I add, he INSISTED on taking to her) but she wouldn't take it.  I'm guessing she thought it was his lunch and didn't want to take it from him.  Andrew said that they got to color and help decide the classroom rules.  When he went to art, he saw two kids from his t-ball team (too bad they're not in his class!), which was exciting for him.  And that's about all I could get out of him, despite the fact that he was there for seven hours. His teacher seems really nice, and he hardly even said goodbye when I dropped him off today, so I think this kindergarten thing will go well.  For him.  Grant and I are having a harder time, but we'll get used to it.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Okay, the picture of Grant hugging Andrew has to be the cutest thing ever! And I love how Drewbie wanted to give his apple to the teacher. What a cutie. But seriously... kindergarten? That's got to be a mistake... he can't be that old!!!

CA Chris said...

I agree with Michelle. The photo of Andrew and Grant is so cute! Where did the time go? They are growing up so fast. Thanks for telling us about his first days at school.