Thursday, April 3, 2008

Easter

Here's our Easter post, almost two weeks later...

Anyway, we had a wonderful little Easter. We dyed eggs on Saturday, and oh my goodness did Andrew enjoy it! I only boiled 9 eggs (since I'm the only one who eats them) and Andrew could've decorated at least 50 before he got bored. I had to let go of my desire to at least have a few pretty eggs, because Andrew kept dunking every egg he could get his hands on, even if it was one that we'd already finished. In the end, I think at least half of the eggs were cracked from Andrew dropping them (in his defense, they were somewhat slippery...and he's only two... :) It was very fun, and Andrew loved it.


Our little Picasso...


Wow, mommy, wow!

For our Easter breakfast I made some yummy homemade cinnamon rolls, which I think will be our new Easter breakfast tradition. Church was very nice, Andrew looked very handsome and was even somewhat well-behaved during Sacrament meeting. We decided to do Easter baskets after church and Andrew's nap, which maybe wasn't the best idea since that tends to be Andrew's fussy time. We also made the mistake of trying to do the egg hunt pretty much the second he woke up, since that way they would be "hidden" when he came out of his room. So he was pretty fussy at first, not too into his basket, but he warmed up to it rather quickly. He got into it a lot more than this time than he did last year, and didn't insist on opening every single egg as he found them. The Easter Bunny was kind enough to give Andrew a new Thomas video and each of us water guns to play with. We can't wait to show Andrew how those work! More than anything, though, Andrew was into the candy--what a surprise! He devoured quite a bit in a short amount of time and then was on a serious sugar high. When we tried to get him to sit down for dinner, he completely lost it. He was absolutely hysterical. Finally, I gave up trying to reason with him and put him in time out, which led to one of the biggest tantrums I've ever seen him have. Eventually he curled up in the fetal position and whimpered, which made us joke about him looking like a little drug addict. Ahh, toddlers. Hehe.

Andrew is still trying to wake up and figure out what's going on.


Andrew really enjoyed pulling the eggs open and watching the candy spill everywhere.

We had the traditional ham (blah!), scalloped potatoes, and even green bean casserole (my first!). It was pretty yummy, though I was reminded of how much I don't like ham. 'Twas all for John, I tell you. I've informed him that once we're celebrating Christmas on our own, there's no way he gets a Christmas ham AND and an Easter ham. That's just too much ham. I also attempted another Doberge cake, and compared to my first attempt, this one turned out pretty well. I didn't have any broken cakes or layers sliding off, and my frosting actually worked (it was a different recipe, so I think that helped). The sad part though was that I overcooked the cakes (despite doing them for less time than the recipe called for) and they were rather dry. :( The pudding filling was decent though and the frosting was great. It's similar to a fondant (heck, maybe it really would be considered a fondant) and it was so fun to work with! The cake ended up looking ok, though sadly I didn't get any decent pictures. It was a fun baking experience though!

All in all it was a nice Easter. I love holidays!

No comments: