Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mardi Gras: Fat Tuesday (yummy)

Today we decided to celebrate Mardi Gras with some Cajun fare. Since I hate seafood, I decided to make Chicken Andouille Gumbo and some good old Southern biscuits. I'm not a particular fan of gumbo, but I thought it was pretty good and John really enjoyed it. Andrew even ate some of it! I loved this new biscuit recipe, it was so tasty and easy.


For desert I attempted a Chocolate Doberge Cake, which is a New Orleans classic. It's a four layer chocolate cake with chocolate cream filling and chocolate icing. My kind of cake! Clearly it had major issues appearance wise (let's just say there were some issues) but taste wise it was AWESOME. Yummy.


I also made a Key Lime Pie for John to take to his work's Mardi Gras lunch. I've never made Key Lime pie before, but it was actually pretty easy. The hardest part was probably just finding and juicing the stupid key limes (it didn't help that our little hand juicer broke and I had to go to Wal-Mart *shudder* at 10pm to get another juicer). John's not a big Key Lime pie fan ("too limey") but apparently it was pretty popular at work, as it disappeared in a matter of minutes.



Laissez Les Bon Temps Roule!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Kara! That all looks amazing! You garnished the pie with a LIME SLICE. You are amazing. And the chocolate cake sounds great, too... no biggie if it didn't turn out exactly as you'd hoped--it's still chocolate. :) Cooking is the one area where I'm very forgiving of my own mistakes, you know?

Emily said...

P.S. I'm really enjoying reading your blog, and I like that you post plenty. It inspires me to do the same.

Morgan Hagey said...

Hmmm, Key LIME pie being too limey... I'm not too surprised. But it all looks YUMMY!

Lindsey said...

Wow Kara! I am so impressed! I am going to start calling you Betty. :)