Sunday, October 19, 2008

October Adventures

We've been keeping relatively busy lately, enjoying some fun outings now that the weather is cooling down and it's not unbearable to be outside. Two weeks ago we went to the pumpkin patch with some friends. Andrew got to run around like crazy, jump in bounce houses, go on a hayride, and just have fun in general. Grant just sat there in the stroller, tolerating it all. What a trooper. It was a really fun day! Here's a slide show of our pumpkin patch adventures:





Last week we made a trip to the main fire station here in Denton. They have a little museum, which was mostly full of stuff Andrew didn't care about, though there were some fun hoses, hats, and uniforms that the kids enjoyed. A very nice firefighter took us on a tour of the entire station, and the kids were in heaven! In the living quarters there was a large display case FULL of firetrucks, Andrew desperately wanted to play with them. When we finally got to the actual firetrucks, Andrew was really scared. The firefighter opened the driver's side and said the kids could get in, but Andrew just wouldn't do it. He liked looking, just not touching. We also got to see the Hazmat truck, the bomb squad truck, and the search and rescue boat. It was pretty awesome! After the firestation we went to the park for a picnic, which is always fun. While our toddlers were playing, we sat and fed our babies (yep, all three of us have babies under 8 months...it's the Denton 4th ward baby boom!) we were approached by a woman who handed us cards--breastfeeding licenses, if you will--and told us she thought what we were doing was so great. Good for us for nursing in public. She was really nice, and I kind of got a chuckle when she said she and the other parents were from the Denton AP (attachment parenting) group. I could tell, because some of them looked a bit like hippies...like the guy with the really long hair wearing a Moby Wrap. The day I catch my husband wearing our Moby Wrap, I will die of shock. Anyway, it was nice to get a positive reaction for nursing in public, because I've definitely received some not so positive looks before.

And in super exciting news, Andrew is now fully potty trained. Woo hoo! I love not having two kids in diapers. He's been using the potty for the past year or so, but a few weeks ago we got really serious about it. Then about two weeks ago, he was just done with diapers. It was great! He (knock on wood) hasn't had any accidents since then (even at night!) and does great when we're out of the house too. Some times I don't love the whole underwear thing though, like when we were at Wal-Mart (shudder...it's REALLY too bad they're the only ones who carry my tortillas!) and Andrew told me he had to use the bathroom. Ugh, the Wal-Mart bathroom! I guess it's worth it though. :)

Grant is five months old now and reaching some fun milestones! He rolls all over the place, so we really have to watch him now. And he's starting to love solids (especially carrots and pears) and only need to nurse once at night (thank goodness). I finally found a Bumbo for him and he loves it, so hopefully he'll be able to sit up on his own soon. He also might be trying to crawl...he does this hilarious scoot thing where he puts his head down and his butt up and then pushes forward. He doesn't get very far, but I bet he will soon. My favorite thing is that he sucks on his toes, it's hilarious. He's a flexible little guy! He's SUCH a happy, smiley baby and such a wonderful addition to our family. And here's another slide show, this time of the fire station and other cute, random pictures:





So, life is good and we are really excited for the upcoming holiday season. My parents are coming for Halloween, then we get to go to Utah for Thanksgiving and California for Christmas. Exciting! Poor Andrew will be so bored come January, I know he'll be begging to go see grandma and grandpa. And by then he'll be 3....holy cow!! Time flies.

Oh, and please help give either John or I get "I told you so" rights by voting in our poll (to the left).

5 comments:

Emily said...

Woo! Fun long post! I shall now probably post with a long comment, but I'll try to be somewhat brief. :)

Cute stories about the kids. It's so fun to watch them grow up. Reading about things like that helps some of my nervousness about having a child of my own soon. I'm so incredibly excited, don't get me wrong, but then I think about getting up in the middle of the night and I feel a little crabby.

I love your breastfeeding story. I definitely support it as well (and hope to everything that I'll be successful at it), so that's nice to get some happy looks from people rather than glares. Why are people dumb, anyway? Half the female population under a certain age shows off more breast than I'm sure you do while breastfeeding your child. At least you have a good reason. I don't know why people get offended. I should make myself a sign to put up if I ever breastfeed in public. Haha.

You have a Moby wrap? Do you like it? I want one. After taking this babywearing class I'd like one of those for the first few months, while it's cold and she's small, but then we both really liked this mei tai carrier. Of course the one we really liked is the most expensive baby carrier I've yet to find, so we'll see. I don't think Adrian was as wild about the Moby, either. He liked slings better for a little baby. We'll see. He's good to let me pull him into my hippie world.

Hooray on the potty training! I'm sorry about the Wal-Mart, though. (Okay, I'm not doing a very good job keeping this AT ALL short, but I have to tell you that we drove 20 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart the other day--yes, insane--because we were on the hunt for containers for Adrian's thousands of baseball cards. We both had to hand sanitize as soon as we got to the car. UGH. At least we got a lot of Halloween candy, which I have already eaten plenty of. Great.) So, I know this might sound a little gross, but bear with me. My mom does this and I think it's a good idea. She carries around cups with her, like the plastic kind you get with kids meals or even a disposable paper one in a pinch, and so if she's in a sketchy bathroom she helps them to pee in the cup, and then flushes that down and washes out the cup. That way, the kid has no contact with the scary toilet. I realize it sounds gross to carry a "potty cup", but it's really nice when you're somewhere questionable or even in the car with no bathroom handy. You wash it out with good soap and hot water and it's fine. :) Plus, when you use those kinds of cups, if you want you can just throw it away. Just an idea... it's hard to balance a kid on those big toilets and hope that they don't grab the sides. Ewww.

Okay, I'm done. I apologize for the length of the above. I will now go do something productive with my day.

Emily said...

Oh, P.S., I don't know who was on which side of this discussion, but fishsticks are WAY worse. I like the smell of garlic. I imagine fish leaves the house smelling for days. IF I ever cook fish it's only baked salmon because (a) fish can be expensive and (b) salmon doesn't smell so bad. So... which one of you is which? I assume you'll tell us later.

RM said...

Cute post Kara. I love the slide show! Hey do you know how to print the blog pages and make a book/journal? heard about it but have never tried! So I love garlic and the smell too, especially with onions!

Liz said...

Knowing your general aversion to all creatures of the sea, I'd wager that John is the one who thinks fishsticks aren't as bad as garlic. I love garlic--love the smell, love the taste--but David has to constantly remind me to lay off the garlic because he doesn't love it as much as I do. Some bad garlic experience in the past or something.... Anyway, the only fish I ever cook is salmon which isn't terribly fishy but fishsticks are disgusting. And smelly.

Anywaaay, adorable photos of adorable children as usual. I'm jealous of your holiday plans. I have no idea what I'm going to do for Thanksgiving/Christmas stuck on this island with no friends or family. I've never spent Christmas away from my family. Thankfully, my parents are coming for a visit in January. You must post some Halloween photos of your kids in costume. There's nothing cuter!

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Ok...so I it's a toss up what my new favorite picture is...either Kara in the fire helmet...or Andrew doing the ballerina pose in front of a firetruck. :)

Oh, and I could totally see John with long hair and a moby wrap...it's so him!