Friday, February 15, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

Yes, yes, I know Valentine's Day was yesterday. I just never got a chance to post anything yesterday. Besides, we're still kind of celebrating it today because John and I weren't able to go out last night since John had class, so we went out on our date tonight. Hooray for dates! We've had a very nice two day Valentine's.

Yesterday I decided to make my boys' favorite breakfasts, so John got blueberry muffins and Andrew got Swedish pancakes (they were pink this time).
Andrew and I then had fun assembling Valentines to deliver to his friends. I had made truffles (which, by the way, was really fun to do) for John and our friends so Andrew "helped" me put them in the paper cups (boy was he helpful :). During this time, however, he discovered that the raspberry truffles were yummy and devoured three of them in less than ten minutes. Wow was he hyper the rest of the morning! We also put together Andrew's Shrek Valentine's, and he was soooo excited they had Shrek on them. It was quite cute.


Andrew liked "helping" with the truffles. Can you see the chocolate around his mouth?


Earlier this week, us moms had decided that we would leave "mailboxes" out on our doorsteps so all the kids could drop off Valentines to each other. Andrew and I had a blast decorating his mailbox (I should have taken a picture, he's quite the artist!) and he was excited to get all the Valentines out of it as they were delivered throughout the day. We also had fun delivering our Valentines, but Andrew always wanted to go inside and play rather than just drop them off.

Anyway, after delivering everything I took Andrew on a date to Chipotle (thanks for cluing me in on that free burrito, Emily!) since we both love it so much. We ate our yummy food and had a great time. Andrew is a great date!


Andrew trying to share his rice with me--such a gentleman!


Once we got home and Andrew was down for a nap, I attempted my first cheesecake: a chocolate raspberry cheesecake, especially for John (since I think fruit and chocolate together is a sin). I think it actually turned out ok, though I haven't personally eaten it. John's only comment was that the raspberry sauce was "different". [Editorial comment by John: The preceding statement is incorrect. Let me set the scene....Nelsen home, 11:00 pm: John, stuffed with the aforementioned truffles, a home cooked meal, and all other sorts of Kara's yummy cooking/baking, is trying to peer over his fat gut to study...Kara cuts a "sliver" (slab) of cheesecake to see if she can fit anything else down his ever-shrinking throat. Seeing the quality of the cheesecake John accepts. He enjoys the cheesecake immensely and is intrigued by the sauce. Wondering what it is he innocently asks "What's the sauce, is it different? After answering Kara goes to bed before John can shower his praises down on her for the heavenly cheesecake. Now, back to the blog...] I sure enjoyed making it though.


John's chocolate raspberry cheesecake. I clearly need to work on my photography skills. I guess I've forgotten everything I learned in my photography class (though it was 7 years ago now).


After Andrew got up it was time to exchange presents and cards, which is always fun (especially for Andrew). Andrew loved his personal box of truffles, his new book (Mommy's Little Star) and his Finding Nemo card. John, who knows me oh-so-well, [Editorial comment by John: This is a correct statement.] bought me some new beautiful red sheets. I've been wanting new sheets for so long (the Martha Stewart ones we bought at Kmart 3 1/2 years ago are looking quite shabby) and these new ones are seriously so gorgeous. Is it weird to get excited about sheets? Maybe. But that's just me I guess. It's seriously the perfect present. Andrew and I got John a gigantic, fuzzy Cubs blanket. I guess I got the idea because I was really tired of John stealing my big fuzzy blanket. :) [Editorial comment by John: Doesn't she paint me to be the biggest villain? Truth be told I can only remember ever using (not stealing) the blanket once, without might I add, any comment from Kara.]


Yummy truffles!


So that was pretty much our actual Valentine's Day celebration, and it was lots of fun. Being Andrew's mommy and John's wife makes me think I must be the luckiest person ever. There aren't even really words to describe how much I love them. Andrew is the cutest, sweetest little boy ever and John is a truly amazing husband and father (I still don't know how he puts up with me). [Editorial comment by John: no comment, just kidding :) ] I love my boys! And I can't wait to meet our new boy!

Ok, sappiness done.

Anyway, John brought me home some beautiful red roses (my favorite, I'm so traditional!) today and apparently got some looks when he was buying them...I guess people either thought he was an idiot or a jerk who forgot that Valentine's Day was yesterday. Little do they know we were still celebrating today! We got to go on our date tonight and it was just so nice. We went to a Mediterranean place down in Dallas and it was so delicious! It's a quiet, intimate little restaurant and the chef came out and greeted us when we arrived. I love places like that! It was just nice to relax and enjoy dinner together and then come home to our adorable Drewbie.

Another long post yet again! Happy (belated) Valetine's Day to all!

4 comments:

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Kara...not only did I eat chocolate during Relief Society today...but I also came home and polished off that piece of your amazing chocolate cheesecake (too bad for Bryce)! Do you think I'm an evil person now...considering our little "lesson" in class regarding eating chocolate while your pregnant?!

The Nelsen Family: said...

Haha...if eating chocolate is evil and dangerous I am in SO much trouble. So yes, you're definitely very evil too. I think that cheesecake alone would do you in (glad you enjoyed it...there's more if you want some!). That was quite the shocking revelation. There's no way it's keeping me from my chocolate though!

Lindsey said...

Ok, Kara you are seriously the best baker ever! I am so impressed. We all need to get together soon!

Emily said...

I though about getting up and making blueberry muffins, which are Adrian's favorite, too. But I didn't. And I also made truffles, but they didn't exactly look pretty like yours.

I am put to shame.

:)

Eventually I'll get up pictures of the truffles. I'm working on the Cancun ones now, which are probably more interesting anyhow.