Friday, February 8, 2008

Adventures with Andrew the Flower Killer, or: The Longest Post Ever

So this morning I went to do my hair and discovered that I was out of mousse--tragic! Since I didn't want to wait for John to get home with the car and the store is so close (plus it was a beautiful day) I decided to take Andrew on a walk to the store so we could buy me some mousse and a few ingredients that we need for tomorrow's Chinese New Year feast.

Lately Andrew has really preferred walking to riding in his stroller (go figure) so I'll let him walk as far as he can while I have the stroller slung over my shoulder. Andrew loves collecting nature items whenever we walk, so as we were walking, Andrew decided to stop and pick some flowers (dandelions, really, but he thinks they're flowers). He would see one, say "Oooh, what's that Mommy?" and then pick it and say "Here mommy!" However, just as he would start to hand it to me, he would rip the flower from the stem. Poor dandelion never knew what hit it. We sat and did this for about 5 minutes and then I was ready to leave the poor "flowers" alone. Next Andrew decided to pick up a piece of dog poop. Yep, dog poop. I LOVE that people in our apartment complex never clean up after their dogs.

Poor little unsuspecting dandelion...


Anyway, next stop on our walk was to look at the sheep. It's totally random, but next to our apartment complex there's this house that has a lot of sheep. Andrew always loves to stop and look at them and say "Baaa!" So cute.

The rest of our walk was spent pointing out all of the trucks, buses, and airplanes. These things really, really excite Andrew. You should hear him say "BUS!" or "Bye bye airplane!" It's just way too cute. Andrew actually ended up walking all the way to the store (which according to Mapquest is a little over a mile) without riding in his stroller once. Way to be Andrew! I think he's concerned about his figure and wants to exercise more...

The best part of our trip though (not) was when we were in the store. I let Andrew ride in one of those grocery carts that has the car attached to the front and he was loving it. Unfortunately, the buckles inside the little car were broken so I couldn't strap him in. Baaad news. He managed to stay sitting for the first, I don't know, 60 seconds. After that he was constantly trying to climb in and around that little car. It finally got to be too much when I was trying to decide between rice vinegar and rice cooking wine and he completely climbed out of the car and started trying to pull things off the shelf. Yikes. At that point I had told him about ten times that if he didn't stay sitting in the car, I would have to make him ride in a regular cart. So I took him and put him and all of our stuff in a regular cart and he lost it. He was screaming. He would stop screaming and then say "Car!" and I would tell him he couldn't get in the car and he would lose it all over again. Since I only had a couple of things left, I really wanted to finish shopping. A nice little old lady stopped and talked to him and he went dead silent. He's so shy with strangers! Anyway, Andrew calmed down while helping me put the produce in bags and we were able to finish our shopping in peace. Whew.

Since I was really worried he'd fall asleep on the way home and end up in bed without lunch, I decided we should stop and eat at Whatburger (I know, I have an eating out addiction. It's bad.) As we were walking up to the restaurant, he got all excited and started saying "Yummy!" It's the strangest thing, if we go past a fast food place, he'll always say that--even if we've never even eaten there before! We enjoyed a nice lunch (he even ate his!) and got to chat with some nice elderly people who were in the booth next to us. Odd little side note: this couple started their meal (at a fast food restaurant, might I add) with a prayer (wait a minute, we're not in Utah! Though it is the South...) and then proceeded to have a somewhat detailed conversation about Britney Spears. Odd! I didn't think the 65+ crowd followed the Britney drama.


Mmmmm, Whataburger!


Anywho, it was an interesting little outing. Andrew's little meltdown in the store reminded me of why he needs to sleep until 8, not 7. It just makes such a big difference.

Holy cow that's a long post.

3 comments:

McEuens said...

Oh my gosh, Kara, it's like you and I had the same morning. Toddler wakes up too early; walk to the store because hubby has the car; toddler walks most/all the way himself (the stroller was in back of the MIA car; toddler has meltdown (or, in our case, numerous meltdowns about wanting to see more trains, not wanting to get in the basket, wanting to go back to the train station, not wanting to hold mommy's hand, not wanting to be carried, not wanting hotdogs -- which is what we went to buy at the store -- wanting hotdogs, etc.). Only now I feel bad because I didn't let him stop and pick up stuff on the way to the store and because I'm not making a Chinese New Year feast. Sigh.

Morgan Hagey said...

I too have an eating out addiction, and I too love Whataburger. There are none in Kansas.

Whenever Henry is "bad" at the store, we have to strap him in and he screams about having to wear a "belt seat."

Sigh.

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Oh Kara...I've sooooo been there! Literally :)

The Snack is wild about those crazy car kart things, but he will NEVER stay in them. Now I have to try to avert his attention when we walk into the store so he won't see them, and then tell him that they're all taken. Sad little lies for sanity, eh.

Oh...and I've been there with the dog poo too...yummy.